First glass panel experiments
After creating a number of small samples using various types of glass and metals, I have now started to produced large scale panels with a variety of patterned details that I believe are successful within the theme. Copper oxide and copper foil create a beautiful effect when reacting at such temperatures and would definitely like to incorporate this within the final designs.
As suspected, it has been advised for me to dam in my glass due to it adding up to approximately 12mm in thickness. This size creates more difficulty within the pieces but will produce a better and stronger outcome. The firing sequence used is a rise to 677 degrees where it is left to bubble soak for 1 hour - this means the glass will heat up evenly throughout the piece and create a nice even fuse between the two 6mm pieces of glass. The temperature will then rise to 800 degrees for 10 minutes - any longer and the glass may become too viscous and manage to flow out of the dam walls. Hopefully if the panels are successful, the next stage of slumping over the 3D objects to form a texture can take place.
I am still unsure of the pattern I have produced - although you can clearly see the theme being portrayed, I feel it is not as visually exciting as I hope it to be. The most interesting sample I have created, and also the most simple, is the black opal stringers crossing eachother creating a sense of structure. I have tried to combine this with silver flakes and coppe oxide powder which I have stenciled in as triangle shapes but am wondering if this will not look as effective as if the stringers were on their own. It is an idea to create an ongoing pattern with the stringers throughout each panel so the structure changes and each sheet glass is different but have a link to eachother. Depending on how well the glass turns out, and if I can perfect this technique early, I may consider the panels to be even larger.